Tuesday 27 April 2010

Mooching Around.

I like the word 'mooch'.
It's a strange word..
The dictionary says that to mooch is to 'wander around aimlessly; To beg, cadge, or sponge; to exploit or take advantage of others for personal gain; To steal or filch'.

Personally, when I say that I'm mooching, I generally mean that I'm wandering around with no particular purpose or sense of rush, rather than taking advantage of others!

I had a dentist appointment this morning at 8:20am, which would be nasty on any day (I am most definitely not a morning person), but considering that today is a teacher training day, meaning that we have no school today, it was particularly hard to drag myself out of the comfy retreat that is my bed. However, I managed it, and mum dropped me off at the dentists' and I got that all sorted out.

Afterwards, I decided to go and have a look around town. And then I realised that it was only 8:30am, and that the shops didn't open until 9. So, on impulse, I went to Costa Coffee (which was open), and spent a pleasant half hour simply sitting in there with a hot chocolate - plus marshmellows and cream, of course - and thinking quietly. I felt slightly out of place, considering that almost everybody else was obviously a regular - they were all asking for "the usual", but even so, it was nice.

Feeling relaxed, at 9, I walked around town and did a spot of shopping, and then went up to the library and spent a good half hour sitting on one of the sofas reading a good book, before walking home.

I enjoy mooching. I enjoy it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment